Marine Science Academy
WHAT: Loggerhead Marinelife Center is continuing the “Marine Science Academy” (MSA) program that will introduce students to interdisciplinary topics in marine science and ocean conservation.
Funded by the Loxahatchee Club Educational Foundation, MSA is open to high school students (grades 9-12) within Palm Beach and Martin Counties. Over the course of the 2018-2019 academic school year, students will participate in outings, trainings, workshops, and service opportunities. There is no fee associated with membership.
MSA activities will include:
• Field Experiences (kayaking, snorkeling, using transects and quadrants to estimate percent cover)
• Aquatic and marine species collection and observation
• Citizen Science training (species counts, sky quality monitoring, marine debris removal)
• Topics in marine biology, coastal ecology, oceanography, and marine geology
• Topics in ocean careers
• Conservation projects
• Volunteering with Loggerhead Marinelife Center (all members must volunteer at LMC a minimum of 40 hours during Fall 2018 – Summer 2019)
To apply for membership, please fill out the MSA Application form found below.
WHEN: Meetings will be held once a month during the school year beginning in October 2018 and ending in April 2019, with additional activities and field trips added as needed.
WHERE: Meetings will be held at Loggerhead Marinelife Center: 14200 US Highway One, Juno Beach, FL, 33408, with associated activities and field trips in and around the Jupiter area.
FEE: No fee. Application below required for participation.
For questions, or more information, please e-mail Hannah Campbell, Associate Director of Education, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Download complete 2017-2018 schedule here >>