Volunteers are the heart of Loggerhead Marinelife Center. Make a difference and join the volunteer team!
- Take an active role in ocean conservation.
- Make new friends with similar interests.
- Earn community service hours for educational requirements.
(We no longer accept court mandated community service applicants)
- Gain real life work experience.
- Continue your education through ongoing training lectures and classes.
- Volunteer recognition party and rewards.
- Discount pricing at Loggerhead Marinelife Center’s marine-themed gift shop.
- Discount pricing on gym memberships.
- Discount pricing on scuba dive certifications, boat fees, and rental gear.
Volunteer Requirements at Loggerhead Marinelife Center:
Volunteers must be at least 16 years of age (18 for sea turtle rehab) and must work a minimum of 3.5 hours per week. There is a minimum six-month commitment with exception to seasonal summer positions. No experience is necessary and training will be provided.
Current Volunteer Opportunites Include:
Sea Turtle Rehab – Are you interested in a hands-on experience working with an endangered species? This position requires extensive training, detailed reporting, and teamwork. Applicants must be 18 years of age or older, able to lift 50 pounds, tolerate frequent bending, and enjoy whatever the weather may bring. Volunteers will participate in cleaning tanks, food preparation, weighing and measuring the sea turtles. This is a highly coveted position and often times has a waiting list.
Counselor in Training (Seasonal Summer Position) – Are you good with kids and have free time in the summer? Being a CIT (counselor-in-training) is a great way to get service hours, prep for a real counselor position and just have fun! Junior Marine Biologist summer camp takes place June-August, in one week sessions. CIT positions are from 9-4pm M-F with at least a 3 week commitment. Spend your summer snorkeling, playing games, teaching kids and making friends. Outgoing personalities are a must!
Download Application >>
Administrative – Would you enjoy supporting Loggerhead Marinelife Center from behind the scenes? We have administrative opportunities available in the marketing, development, and operations departments.
Education Docents – Do you have a passion for ocean conservation or education?
• Turtle Yard Docent – Be a sea turtle ambassador in the turtle yard. Educate visitors about the current sea turtle patients.
• Exhibit Hall Docent – Become an expert on the interactive displays and aquaria found in the exhibit hall.
• Field Trip Docent – Enjoy children? Lead hour long field trips educating students on ocean conservation, with a special focus on endangered and threatened sea turtles.
Guest Services – Are you an outgoing individual with a passion for ocean conservation? Do you enjoy meeting new people? If you answered yes, you’re a perfect fit for guest services. Guest services is often times the first impression of the organization. Volunteers welcome guests and provide information to enhance the LMC experience.
Gift Store – Be part of the Loggerhead Marinelife Center gift store experience. Assist visitors with their unique gift selections. Help the gift shop continue its level of success, as well as gain practical retail experience. Volunteer positions include sales people, stock positions, and cashiers. Outgoing, personable individuals welcomed.
HOW TO BECOME A VOLUNTEER:
- Fill out the volunteer application and submit online.
- Once application is submitted, the applicant will receive an email inviting them to attend a group interview (It may take up to 1 week to receive an email invitation).
- Based on applicant’s availability and the current volunteer needs, the applicant will be invited to attend an orientation followed by training classes.
- On the day of orientation, the volunteer will purchase a uniform shirt; receive a name badge, and any training materials.